Dear readers, gazers, critics, searchers...

Welcome to my blog!  My name is Samantha Yang, and these are images of my artwork.  In upcoming posts, you will see a title, an image, pertinent work information (dimensions, media, dates, etc.), and probably some tidbits about each piece regarding process, inspiration, fluff.

I am open to any and all feedback.  Art is a method of communication, and the best art creates a dialog between the viewers and the work.  Please feel free to despise, adore, be bored, be intrigued, be critical, or be all of the above.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy!
-Sam

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Adoration

Oil on canvas
40" x 30"
2006
$120

This is an older piece, but I continue to find it funny.  It was the result of matching random objects and emotions: toilet brush / love.  Though the combination occurred at random, when I look at it I feel a certain sense of irony in the way it speaks to women's roles.  In a time when many of our mothers have broken out of the domestic, private sphere, for some daughters (like myself) there is a romanticized notion of the 60's stay at home mom.  We forget about the drudgery and think of the potlucks, salons, and cocktails.  I wonder if the pendulum will swing back, and when it does, will high level female executives find a renewed love for their toilet brushes?

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Sam, love your painting and the comments for each one, esp this toilet brush/love one.