Dear readers, gazers, critics, searchers...

Welcome to my blog!  My name is Samantha Yang, and these are images of my artwork.  In upcoming posts, you will see a title, an image, pertinent work information (dimensions, media, dates, etc.), and probably some tidbits about each piece regarding process, inspiration, fluff.

I am open to any and all feedback.  Art is a method of communication, and the best art creates a dialog between the viewers and the work.  Please feel free to despise, adore, be bored, be intrigued, be critical, or be all of the above.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy!
-Sam

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Invisible Cities

 
Acrylic, gouache, and ink on canvas
12" x 15"
2009
$100

This piece is based on the book Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, which seems to be about the patterns that make a city.  I find the book very evocative, and plan to do a series of 55 works on it.  This is the pilot piece for the series, but I'm not sure the others will look anything like this...  

I'm fairly inexperienced working with acrylics and gouache (most of my up until now has been with oils), so this piece feels somewhat immature to me, though there are definitely parts of it that I like.  Working on this piece was enjoyable, since it was almost unconscious, stream-of-thought painting.  

No comments: